Thursday, September 10, 2009

Family Love Michael

Last night, two of my good friends and I went to the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois to catch the tail end of Britney Spears' Circus tour. BritBrit put on a really fantastic, energetic show and all her fans were super pumped up the whole time. It was a thoroughly fun and exciting experience, but what really made the night were the snippets of people I saw and conversations I heard.

First of all, the girl-guy ratio was probably 5:1. I wasn't expecting otherwise, but what did surprise me was the way these girls were dressed and made up - judging by some of their outfits, the real circus was offstage. Lady GaGa hair bowties, metallic leggings with strategic slits, poofy party dresses, streaks of dyed hair layered under trendy platinum blond bobs, 5-inch studded heels, full faces of impeccable, outrageous makeup - if you've seen it in a Katy Perry music video, these ladies were probably rocking it. It was overwhelming just walking through the hordes of excited young girls (how much do I sound like a pedophile right now...) who were all chomping gum, applying lipgloss, and gripping pink iPhones in their perfectly manicured fingers.

By contrast, I was wearing a white t-shirt, jeans, and Pumas. My hair was down and the only thing that was in it was probably a dead gnat. So in addition to looking homeless compared to these teenage glamazons, I also stuck out like a sore thumb because I was one of maybe ten Asians who attended the show.

One particularly memorable episode happened on our way out after the concert ended. The crowd was milling out slowly and my friends and I happened to be walking near these three girls who were dressed even more outrageously than most. One of them was wearing a frilly pink dress that kind of looked like this:


She was also rocking crazy high stiletto pumps, black framed glasses, and a beehive so big it would've put Amy Winehouse to shame. Her friends were dressed equally crazy - I remember a blonde one and another who looked 12 years old and was wearing a tunic that just barely made it below her derriere. I'll refer to them as Pinky, no-name, and Underage, and this is what I managed to hear of their conversation as they wobbled alongside us:

Pinky: (shouting at the crowd) Why are you all giving us such dirty looks? Like, haven't you seen a girl in a dress before? God! Perverts!
Noname: (who at this point apparently was fighting with some other girl) You little betch! Who the fuck do you think you are? You wanna take this outside in the parking lot, huh?
Underage: (huffs) God!
Noname: You dirty little betch! You wanna fight? I don't see you putting your little fists up, honey!
Pinky: God, like, what the hell!
Noname: That dirty little betch! She was like, too scared to fight me!

The whole time my friends and I were staring straight ahead, trying not to make eye contact and explode with laughter. I wish I could've taped their voices - the way they talked was just so funny and unreal. I've always thought those crazy reality TV stars you see on MTV and VH1 were all just exaggerated versions of real people but last night I definitely learned otherwise.

Which brings me to the point of this entry:

Being at UChicago is like running around underground with a bunch of moles. Nobody cares about how they look - in our minds, we all have bigger agendas, like philosophic mole discussions and moley problem sets. Every once in a while though, it's nice to pop out and take in a refreshing breath of air from an entire other world.

2 comments:

  1. why didnt you fight her

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha she wasn't trying to fight me, just some other catty girl

    but oh man, given the chance/excuse to, i would've definitely owned her

    ReplyDelete