Tuesday, August 24, 2010


I didn't shoot as much footage as I would have liked, but I made do with the snippets I did manage to capture and put them against one of my favorite songs ever. Hope you like.

And a couple of updates:

A huge thank you to everyone who has given me feedback regarding which laptop to purchase. I received some very helpful advice from all sorts of different perspectives. I've decided it might be wiser to hold off on taking the plunge for two reasons: 1.) My student loans accrue interest every day that I do not pay them off. 2.) There is a rumored-but-let's-be-honest-with-ourselves-it's-probably-going-to-happen Apple event taking place in the second week of September. If S.J. even hints at a processor upgrade for the MBP, I will feel infinitely better for not having purchased one now.

I finished reading The Winter's Tale, lol'ed through Barrel Fever by David Sedaris, and am now tiptoeing into Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises, which many claim is his best work. As is always the case with any Hemingway I pick up, I find myself already immensely annoyed by all the insipid and selfish main characters in the novel, but at the same time I am curious to see how the story unfolds.
  • <-- a typo made by my silly roommate when we were goofing off on my computer
I can now play "Epilogue" pretty well. Which is not saying much, because it's only like eight chords. I am still struggling a lot with barre chords, and the switch from the G chord to the B chord is pretty rough at the moment.

I am slowly teaching myself Java using HeadFirst Java. Yesterday, I programmed "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall." Today, I am learning about encapsulation. It's actually quite fun to go at my own pace - I can reread portions that I do not immediately grasp or skip sections that I already understand. The logic puzzles in the code are engaging and serve as good mental challenges. I find myself wishing more and more that I had given my computer science courses the time of day back in high school.

Project Shire Upgrade is going swimmingly. Last night, we framed a beautiful record and album cover set on our newly-painted walls. We're now waiting for a map of Middle Earth (hehe) to come in the mail - I cannot wait to frame and place it above our mantel.

Oh, also I may or may not be leaving for a project in Canada next week...!!!

2 comments:

  1. You realize we DID learn Java in high school. Did you learn nothing from Mr. Heidler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing at all! nothing at all!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4iVQyp9L4

    (no but seriously... I remember nothing)

    ReplyDelete